Initially posted in response to posts on the Oprah Fibromyalgia Board
Over the past little while I have read many of your posts. My heart goes out to all of you who suffer from this debilitating condition, fibromyalgia, day in and day out. It is stunning how many of you are very young people in what is supposed to be the prime of your life. Many of you share the myriad of symptoms from muscle and skeletal pain, to bowel-related issues (IBS and the like), to endometriosis, polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), to sleep problems, depression, brain fog, painful muscle spasms, and more. In short, there are few parts of your body and its functions that are not affected.
For what it’s worth allow me to give you a natural medicine perspective on fibromyalgia–and with that, maybe, an ounce of hope…
All of the many symptoms of fibro, including those mentioned above, are connected with high levels of tissue acidity. In natural medicine we call this chronic metabolic acidosis. An acid body has a lowered pain threshold. That is why fibro pain becomes so uncontrollable and agonizing.
Unfortunately, most of the mainstream prescription drugs designed to suppress your body’s response are rendering it even more acidic… That is why you need ever more frequent and higher doses and additional remedies to cope with your pain and issues.
In addition, prescription drugs tend to block or otherwise negatively influence your body’s mineral balance. But mineral imbalance already is the result of an acidic body. You see, the snow ball turns into an avalanche. Minerals affect all your body’s systems and functions from its hormone and enzyme production to how it is able to absorb vitamins and nutrients.
Unfortunately, once your gut is affected (from simple bloating to IBS and other conditions) your mineral and nutrient absorption is the first to suffer. An aching body screams out to you that it is MALNOURISHED!
Honestly, who among you stays away completely from all
○ Soda drinks,
○ Alcohol and smoking,
○ Processed foods,
○ Margarine, lard, and other of the unhealthy fats and deep-fried foods, roasted and salted treats,
○ Grain products (and that may initially include the supposedly healthy whole grains) because they all include a morphine-like addictive components,
○ Sugars of any form (including the hidden ones) and fruit in excess of 2 small servings a day),
○ Dairy products, since lactose too is sugar and casein also contains some morphine-like addictive substances,
○ Starchy and high-sugar vegetables, such as carrots, some squashes, etc.?
All of the above make our body more acidic.
On the other hand, who among you sticks to a low-carbohydrate and maybe also low-calorie diet rich in
· Green and colored, lightly cooked vegetables,
· Blueberries, pomegranate, persimmons, and other highly antioxidant fruit at no more than max. 2 servings daily,
· Fish such as salmon, mackerel, and other great sources of omega-3s,
· Light proteins (e.g. chicken, turkey) and other leaner meats and servings no larger than the size of your palm,
· Olive oil, grapeseed oil or sesame seed oil for fats,
· Green or white tea, oolong tea, etc. to provide you with the necessary anti-oxidants (think of them as your pain-binders),
· Fresh, clean water to help flush the toxins out of your system?
These simple recommendations, if you resolve to follow them closely, will at least stop the daily aggravation and progressive worsening of your condition.
Our body replaces its cells roughly every 3 months–few at a time. This is your chance: Over time, you may find that by eliminating (not just limiting) the destructive foods and, instead, by providing your body with the necessary nutrients you will find improvement.
Unfortunately, there are no short-cuts. In most cases your over-the-counter supplements and vitamins will not work for two reasons:
1) your absorption is compromised if your gut is even mildly affected – and that is already a given if you are on any prescription drugs.
2) your minerals and vitamins are so out of balance that only a very specific and individual approach will not make matters worse.
Remember that most multivitamins are designed for people whose basic ratios are in tact but who may have some additional requirements. With fibro your basic ratios are compromised. Therefore, it would be best for you to find yourself a credible natural medicine professional experienced in these matters.
It can be done; your young age is all in your favor. So, for starters: stop putting diesel into your gas tank and brake oil into your windshield washer container, so to speak. Treat your body kindly with the nutrients it needs and deserves, help it clean out the toxins, and watch over the coming months a new you come back to life. Blessings and best wishes to all of you!